ATS Coin bra and Choli

2015-04-26 10.51.43 - Copy


This is the top part of my ATS costume. For the “coin” bra I used a regular bikini bra that is one size too big for me so that underneath there is room for my regular well-fitting bra. It is decorated with white buttons I inherited from my grandmother. I was inspired by other people who made their coin bras with sea shells, and I thought the white buttons look a little bit like that. I also used a necklace, two chains, and ribbons made from a tablecloth. I used the same tablecloth for both my tasselbelt and my green medieval dress. Busy tablecloth!

 

The choli is made from a short tight dress. I cut it off at chest level and used the bottom part to make sleeves and shoulder straps. I like that it’s deep blue rather than black, making the outfit more colourful.


2015-04-26 10.45.24 - Copy

Tasselbelts!

2015-04-26 10.51.26

The tasselbelt I use. Made from a tablecloth and tassels from a scarf.

When dancing ATS, the bouncing tassels of the tasselbelt emphasises the hip movements. Making tasselbelts is a great way to personalise your ATS costume and to use up beautiful pieces of fabric that aren’t big enough to make anything else out of. I made my favourite tasselbelt on the left from the same tablecloth I used for my green medeival dress. The gold ones are made from another tablecloth that already had triangular sides. Upcycling ftw!

I make tasselbelts to order, and these two below are for sale! Contact me at emmasdraktprojekt@yahoo.com!

IMAG1181

Tasselbelt in gold, red and blue. FOR SALE: SEK250

IMAG1175

Tasselbelt in gold, purple and green. FOR SALE SEK200

IMG_0579

The front laces for the gold tasselbelts. The green and white one is tablet woven and the red and blue one is finger braided.

My First Medieval Dress

010-001 - CopyWhen I was twelve years old, I bought this dress at the market in Visby at Medieval Week on Gotland. I did have another medieval dress when I was even younger, but this was the first one I bought myself, and it has been with me ever since.

Over the years, I have mended and changed a few times, but the basic dress is the same. The first year, my mother helped sew little pleats on the shoulders to make the upper part smaller. Last year, I changed the fabric of the wide border when the old fabric gave out. I also added lacing in the back. Originally, the border was placed on top of the green linen, but this summer, I felt the dress needed lengthening. So I ripped the seam that was under the bust, added a different piece of linen behind the border and moved the skirt so that it now begins under the border. I lengthened the sleeves in the same way. The fabric used for the borders was originally a tablecloth. I’d much rather have pretty fabric on me than on a table! Not a very period correct dress, but I love the colour and the design! The very word ”medieval dress” isn’t period correct either, after all.

021-001 - Copy