Sheik from Ocarina of Time

IMG_1227

Sheik from Ocarina of Time.

My awesomely fit friend Maria was rocking her Sheik cosplay at Närcon 2015. Everything made by me except the “shoes” and the painting on the tabard. She also wears a fake fringe and red circle lenses. Apart from being a huge Zelda fan, Maria is a physiotherapist, personal trainer and body fitness competitor, so she has the muscle to pull off a life-like Sheik! Follow her on instagram and her blog!

11137965_841695329244548_566712467_n

Biceps at the first fitting!

I made the costume with stretch fabric of two different shades of blue, and white jersey bias tape around the edges. Around the chest, arms, fingers and headpiece we wrapped strips of an old sheet. Both the strips and the bias tape were first dyed with green tea to give them a more weathered look. No hemming, they’re supposed to look frayed. Some references from Pinterest, although it was hard to find good images from the appropriate game.

I based the pattern for the top and tights on some of Maria’s own tight work-out gear but changed the seam placements. The sheet strips around the chest are attached with seams at the centre, sides and the zipper opening in the back so that we wouldn’t have to wrap her up every single time she wore the cosplay.

11351021_380037882188975_888858953_n

Muscle-enhancing panels!

This is how I designed the panels on the sleeves: 1. I made a sleeve of the lighter blue fabric. 2. I asked Maria to put it on and flex her muscles. 3. I drew the shapes around her muscles with fabric marker. 4. I cut the shapes out and cut new ones from the darker blue fabric. 5. I edged the dark blue panels with bias tape and attached them to a new sleeve of the lighter blue. Same process with the legs.

 

 

 

11256390_1444659139167649_1578680408_n

Sheet strip hat on a hat form.

For the hat, I used a tight stretchy cap as a base and glued the sheet strips on to it while it was sitting on an old hat form. After the glue had dried, I removed the cap from within and was left with a hat so stiff it could stand on its own. I had originally planned to keep the stretchy cap inside, but that turned out too bulky. Anyway, it wasn’t needed to retain the shape of the hat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The tabard isn’t hemmed either, for a torn look, and turns into a tube around the neck which is held up with wire on the inside. Maria couldn’t see very well while we were walking around at the convention, but she got a lot of praise from other visitors!

 

 

Medieval Week on Gotland 2015 #1: Zelda’s Hylia Dress from Skyward Sword

I recieved a fun comission for this year’s Medieval Week on Gotland: a girl who wanted to be Zelda! At first, we thought we’d make the costume from Twilight Princess, but since she lives far away, making proper fittings impossible, we chose the simpler Hylia Dress from Skyward Sword. Plus points: the cut is inspired by medieval garments!

20150804_150140

Hylia in Visby!

IMG_0929

Dress with paper template.

 

I designed the dress using the same straight pieces and triangular gussets I use when making medieval clothes. In the back, I made adjustable laccing, partly because I wouldn’t be able to fit it perfectly on my client, and it turned out quite well! The pattern at the neck was the most difficult part: first, I made a paper template, then I hemmed to layers of fabric together along the edges of the pattern. Tricky! I look forward to seeing my creation in action at this year’s Medeival Week!

IMG_8157

The neck.

IMG_8159

Adjustable lacing.